The following information is from UNCG’s Division of Student Affairs, provided by our very helpful university contact, Terri Cartner.
This week, October 27th through November 2nd, is UNCG’s Homecoming Week. There are many events happening on campus this week, culminating in a numerous events and activities this weekend.
You will see increased traffic near campus, you may hear increased noise from campus, and you may see more student activity near campus.
For more detailed information on Homecoming, click here. The full schedule is published on the web page, including all public events and activities.
Following are a few of the highlights:
Saturday, November 1
- 9 a.m.: Homecoming 5K Run: This will create increased traffic near campus. Portions of Spring Garden Street near campus, Walker Avenue, and Gray Drive will be closed for several hours.
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Museum Tours, Weatherspoon Art Museum
- 4 p.m.: Children’s Festival for Homecoming, EUC Lawn
- 4 p.m.: Homecoming Music, EUC Lawn. There will be increased noise near UNCG from 107.5 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. for the simulcast from campus
- 4:30 p.m.: Homecoming Parade, EUC Lawn
- 5:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.: “The Breakfast Club” 80’s tribute band will play on the EUC lawn. There will be amplified sound, and neighbors near UNCG will hear the band.
- 8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. (approximate): Men’s Soccer, Soccer Stadium
- 9:30 p.m. (approximate): Homecoming fireworks show. There will be loud bangs and noises, flashing lights, and aerial explosions normally associated with fireworks displays. The display will be similar in length to the shows at Greensboro Grasshoppers games. The fireworks are presented by a licensed, state-approved fireworks firm – the same firm serving the Grasshoppers.
If you witness student behaviors in your neighborhood which concern you, please contact the Greensboro Police Department by calling 911. The GPD is aware of UNCG homecoming activities and can work closely with the UNCG Police Department.
We hope you can take advantage of the UNCG Homecoming activities, especially the 5K run/walk/roll and the Homecoming parade and party. The Weatherspoon Art Gallery is open all weekend with free admission, and our volleyball and soccer games are free to attend.
If you have questions or concerns, please call me at 334-5099 or e-mail me.
Jim S. Settle, Ph.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs