With National Night Out coming up tomorrow night, here are some statistics on crime in College Hill over the past six months (data from crimemapping.com).
The most prominent pattern in the data is the concentration of burglaries and vehicle break-ins at The Province. There were 10 burglaries in the neighborhood; five were at The Province. Of the 27 vehicle break-ins, 13 were at The Province, and nine more occurred within a block of the complex. The one vehicle theft reported also occurred at The Province.
Greensboro Police report that almost all vehicle break-ins occur when items of any value — even loose change — can be seen from outside. Reports of homeless people breaking into cars simply for change have become common, they say. The police give the same good advice that vehicle break-in victims have been ignoring for years: Always remove or hide items of any value, and always lock your vehicle’s doors.
Police reports are public record and to varying degrees are available online (Greensboro Police Department, UNCG Police).
Note: No murders or rapes (or other sexual assaults) were reported in College Hill within the past six months.
- 900 block, Spring Garden Street: February 13, 12:45 a.m.
- 300 block, South Tate Street: February 15, 6:30 p.m.
- 700 block, Spring Garden Street: April 23, 1:12 a.m.
- 600 block, Fulton Street: May 9, 2 p.m. (The Province, issue between roommates)
- 300 block, South Tate Street: June 23, 2 a.m. (two New York Pizza customers)
- 500 block, South Mendenhall: July 22, 8:30 p.m. (outside Firehouse Grocery)
- UNCG campus: 10 assaults
- 500 block, Houston Street, April 10, 8:30 p.m. (The Province)
- 100 block, South Mendenhall Street, July 1, 2:43 a.m. (arrest made within minutes)
- UNCG campus: 1 robbery
- The Province: 5
- 900 block, Carr Street: 1
- 800 block, West McGee: 1
- 500 block, South Mendenhall: 1
- 600 block, South Mendenhall: 1
- 600 block, Walker Avenue: 1
Vehicle Break-Ins/Thefts: 27
- The Province: 13*
- 1000 block, West Market Street: 1
- 800 block, West McGee Street: 2
- Lilly Avenue @ South Mendenhall Street: 2*
- 900 block, Morehead Avenue: 2*
- 100 block, Odell Place: 1
- 800 block, Spring Garden: 3*
- 900 block, Spring Garden: 1*
- 600 block, Walker Avenue: 1*
- 900 block, Walker Avenue: 1
- * Within one block of The Province: 9
- Auto: 10
- Residence: 2
- Other: 2
Auto Theft: 1
- The Province: 1